Sunday, August 2, 2009

Little Orange Pencil & Arthur and the Mouse.


See that little orange pencil in the photo? I don't know how it's managed to survive and follow me around for so long, but it's actually an old school pencil of mine. I had a pack of 3 fluorescent pencils - a yellow, a pink and this orange one. The other two are long gone, but this little one has endured all these years!
The other day, it struck me as funny that Sam (6) is using this pencil to write his first book - Arthur and the Mouse. After all this time, the little orange pencil has a proper use!

I went off in a daydream then, imagining my 14 year old self sitting at my desk in one of my classes, gazing out the window as was my habit, and being visited by a messenger from the future. This messenger pointed to the pencil and told me that in years to come, I would be living in Cyprus, married to The Passion Man, and my THIRD (home educated) child would be using the pencil to write his first novel, which he wants to get published. (Watch this space!)

I wonder how I'd have reacted?

2 comments:

Bleu said...

I think this is one of the sweetest stories I've ever heard. Amazing that a pencil can evoke such emotion.

Nicki Wilkins said...

Lesley, I visited with a 89 year old friend yesterday who lives in a care home, and when we arrived, she gave Bea some paper and an old, sturdy wooden ruler. She shared with us how she has had that ruler for 51 years. She had just recently had to downsize and I wondered why she chose that ruler to bring along with her. I shared your story about your little orange pencil with her and I caught a smile from her.